Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Chi cerca trova


A couple of days ago I learned the Italian saying "non basta la vita."  Directly translated, it means "not enough life," or "life is not enough."  Less literally, it is used by Italians to mean that there is not enough life to see everything we want to see, do everything we want to do, and at the end we usually end up looking back on everything we believe we missed.  I hope to never be one of those people.  I am starting with Italy, and these experiences are the ones that I will look back on to say that my life was more than enough.

These past few days marked the beginning of classes, meaning the beginning of a steadier routine and the beginning of my education in Roma.  They also marked the beginning of my first venture outside of Roma, as this past weekend we traveled to Orvieto, a small town located high on Italy's cliffs and surrounded by a stone wall.  Known for producing an award-winning white wine, it is perhaps most famous for the Duomo, the Orvieto Cathedral.  A massive structure of alternating black and white stripes of stone and a face of intricately placed mosaics, we arrived at the cathedral in the slowly fading afternoon light.  What truly struck me was the fact that, hundreds of years ago, people spent years hand-carving each distinct piece of marble and laying every individual tile so that we are able to stand before its artistry and marvel in its power.  This is what deserves true appreciation.

My trip to Orvieto was one that was also heavily occupied by food, as we were given an introduction to a traditional Italian meal.  As we sat around the tables occupied by bottles of wine to split between three or four people and both aqua naturale and aqua gassata (natural or sparkling water), our first course was brought out.  I cannot tell you the name, but I can tell you that it was delicious.  I think the only way to describe it would be to say a type of mac n' cheese with vegetables.  Basically, it was flat pasta filled with multiple layers of cheese and sliced vegetables.  Incredible.  The minute our plates were cleaned they were replaced by our second course –– a beef dish, side salad, and bread.  As a reinstated meat eater, all I can say is that I am enjoying each and every meat dish I have had so far.  After about three rolls each, a few glasses of red wine, and a completely cleared dinner plate, there was little room for anything else.  That is, until dessert was brought out.  A strawberry tiramisu with perfectly proportioned layers and flavors, it was quickly finished off by each and every one of us.  I may not be Italian, but this is a lifestyle anyone could get used to.

We have a weekend trip scheduled for Friday through Sunday that covers parts of the coast, with a lunch in Pompeii that I am really looking forward to.  Many weekend trips are in the planning process right now, including a definite Spring Break trip to Paris and Ireland set for March.  Europe is waiting for us with each passing day, and we want to see it all.    
The Orvieto Cathedral

One of many ceramic shops

The walled exterior of Orvieto


   

No comments:

Post a Comment