Monday, January 24, 2011

"All we do is eat, sleep, and look at ruins"

I have returned from a weekend orientation trip with all the students of the John Felice Rome Center, and though it was amazing I have to admit that I have never appreciated my tiny little dorm room and these freezing hallways more. The weekend began on Friday around six a.m. when the Student Life Assistants ran up and down our hallways, waking us up with their megaphones and banging on our doors (I guess I missed the memo that I was attending military school). We dragged ourselves onto the waiting buses tired and bleary eyed to make the three and a half hour trek to Herculaneum, or Ercolano in Italian. Herculaneum, a town that once served as a destination spot for the wealthy, was preserved by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius and is still undergoing excavation. It was incredible to see the town similar to what it was in AD 79, with many of the houses still intact and containing their original mosaic floors. Herculaneum sits below its modern day counterpart, and wandering along ancient streets while looking up at modern day apartment buildings further emphasized the juxtaposition between old and new that is such a strong element of Italy’s heritage.  Just as the rain and cold became too much to bear, we were put back on buses and shuttled to a restaurant where plates of fried appetizers, personal pizzas, and desserts were waiting.  It was by far the best pizza I have had thus far, and though I tried very hard, finishing it was impossible.  If pizza continues to be that good, or get even better, I may just not come home.

Our hotel for the weekend was located in Solerno, a small city on the sea that, despite the cold rain, was beautiful.  We were served another three-course meal for dinner and then set out to see what was around, which at night was not much.  The main shopping street in Solerno was lined with lights that kept the spirit of Christmas alive and cast a soft glow on the puddle-ridden streets.  After a long day it was nice to explore on our own before passing out to prepare for the following day’s trip to Paestum.  Saturday was another rainy, frigid day filled with ruins and museum exploration; and though seeing ancient temples across from restaurants and cafes in the middle of a small town was incredible, seeing them cold, wet, and hungry might not have been the best way to appreciate it.  Nonetheless, it was a day rich with history and filled with yet another delicious lunch.

Sunday began early again as we set out for Sorrento, another seaside town famous for its Limoncello.  We had two hours to explore on our own before lunch, and after refueling with some incredible cappuccinos we stumbled upon a small store stocked full of chocolate, olive oil, and every type of Limoncello imaginable.  The owners gave us samples (my least favorite being condensed milk with lemon extract and my favorite being chocolate liquor and lemon) and we all happily purchased our bottles of Limoncello as pieces of Sorrento that we could take back with us.  Lunch was served at a restaurant overlooking the ocean, and we once again hopped onto the buses tired and full to make our way home to campus.  Just as we all grew antsy to get home, a tire blew out on the bus behind us and we sat stranded on the side of an Italian highway.  Our very skilled drivers changed the tire as we shared stories and jokes and we were soon on our way, arriving back at school about two hours later than planned and about an hour late for dinner. 

Though this weekend was an exhausting, cold, and wet one, it was also one that allowed me to see cities I may have never otherwise visited.  I saw my first snow in Italy on the mountaintops surrounding us.  I saw the ocean, Mount Vesuvius, and ancient towns left as they were years ago.  I tasted incredible pizza and coffee and ate more pasta then I ever wanted.  I learned a little more about Italy, and a little more about myself in the process –– one thing being that I should not eat, but will almost finish, five three-course meals in three days.  It was a long weekend but it was one that gave me my first authentic taste of Italy outside of Roma and left me wanting more.  

The original mosaic at a house in Herculaneum

One of Paestum's temples

The city of Solerno

Sorrento on a rainy day

No comments:

Post a Comment